Re: Multilingualism

From: Elisabeth Burr (Elisabeth.Burr@uni-duisburg.de)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 19:33:01 EST

    At 16:30 14.11.02 -0500, you wrote:
    >At 09:12 PM 11/1/2002 +0100, you wrote:
    >>We should at least aim at:
    >>
    >>multilingual conference and electronic journal web-sites
    >>abstracts of conference contributions in at least two languages to be
    >>published on
    >>the conference web
    >>publications in journals with an abstract in a different language to be
    >>decided by the
    >>author her-/himself
    >>publications in at least two languages in the electronic journal
    >
    >I agree absolutely with all of the above. It would be a very exciting
    >development for the humanities computing community to share knowledge more
    >widely--and programmatically--across language barriers. *Especially* in
    >the US...
    >
    >>It would seem impossible, however, to have documents translated by
    >>members of the lo-
    >>cal orgs as Geoffrey proposed. Most of us are already struggling so much
    >>to get through
    >>their work that it is not possible to take on more, it would even be
    >>counter productive.
    >
    >I agree.
    >
    >>It would be much better to get a university involved which is doing
    >>translation studies
    >>and would be willing to create or already has created a spin off
    >>enterprise doing transla-
    >>tions and thus could offer such a service to congress organisers and
    >>speakers / authors
    >>who cannot do their abstract or paper in a second language. We would
    >>naturally have to
    >>study ways to make such a service available in affordable terms. The
    >>umbrella organisation
    >>would have some responsibility there.
    >
    >I take it you mean that the umbrella organization might have to spend some
    >money on this, especially if it were requiring the multilinguality.

    Yes, that is what I mean. Furthermore, if we were able to create a
    prestigious norm of multilinguality
    (am I dreaming?) then members should / would be prepared to pay their share
    to the roofing organi-
    sation , too. Might need quite some work but on the other hand we now have
    a medium which allows
    a lot of variety / flexibility. Why should we accept then that our richness
    of cultures / languages / iden-
    tities are reduced only because it is simpler.

    >John

    Elisabeth

    HD Dr. Elisabeth Burr
    Fakultät 2 / Romanistik