Re: Multilingualism

From: John Unsworth (jmu2m@virginia.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 16:30:43 EST

    At 09:12 PM 11/1/2002 +0100, you wrote:
    >We should at least aim at:
    >
    >multilingual conference and electronic journal web-sites
    >abstracts of conference contributions in at least two languages to be
    >published on
    >the conference web
    >publications in journals with an abstract in a different language to be
    >decided by the
    >author her-/himself
    >publications in at least two languages in the electronic journal

    I agree absolutely with all of the above. It would be a very exciting
    development for the humanities computing community to share knowledge more
    widely--and programmatically--across language barriers. *Especially* in
    the US...

    >It would seem impossible, however, to have documents translated by members
    >of the lo-
    >cal orgs as Geoffrey proposed. Most of us are already struggling so much
    >to get through
    >their work that it is not possible to take on more, it would even be
    >counter productive.

    I agree.

    >It would be much better to get a university involved which is doing
    >translation studies
    >and would be willing to create or already has created a spin off
    >enterprise doing transla-
    >tions and thus could offer such a service to congress organisers and
    >speakers / authors
    >who cannot do their abstract or paper in a second language. We would
    >naturally have to
    >study ways to make such a service available in affordable terms. The
    >umbrella organisation
    >would have some responsibility there.

    I take it you mean that the umbrella organization might have to spend some
    money on this, especially if it were requiring the multilinguality.

    John