Re: Publications

From: Geoffrey Rockwell (grockwel@mcmaster.ca)
Date: Fri Oct 18 2002 - 13:35:31 EDT

    Here are some possible answers to Julia's questions.

    At 1:06 PM -0400 10/18/02, Julia Flanders wrote:
    >A few questions/annotations on Geoffrey's plan, which in general
    >sounds very good to me:
    >
    >>1. The ACH alters their relationship with CHUM so that member do
    >>not have to subscribe to CHUM. It continues to be a choice (ie.
    >>they can pay an extra $50 or so to also get CHUM.)
    >
    >Would Kluwer continue to offer its discounted CHUM subscription rate
    >to ACH members if the relationship were severed? (this is a minor
    >point of curiosity, not anything substantive)

    I doubt Kluwer would, but it would be up to them. The point is that
    we would no longer committ to giving all members a subscription. This
    would free ACH to have student memberships that did not committ to a
    subscription to any journal.

    >>5. Humanist would continue as is, as would the CHWP.
    >
    >I don't know whether CHWP is sufficiently closely tied to the ACH to
    >be represented here as part of ACH (and if it's not, would it be
    >worth bringing it in officially?). But it seems to me that as long
    >as we're overhauling and consolidating, it would be worth talking
    >about this corner of the universe as well. Having some sort of
    >preprint archive or similar organ would be useful for all of the
    >organizations involved. CHWP could certainly use an update--e.g.
    >putting into a searchable database form?

    Good point. CHWP seems to me to be languishing - this could give it a
    better connection and purpose.

    >>7. Likewise we pool our WWW sites into one WWW site with a mirror
    >>on a different continent (or two.) We pool the funds we have for
    >>administering our WWW sites and find a unit willing to run the
    >>respective sites for us. One goal for this would be building a
    >>long-term archive for ACH/ALLC conference abstracts.
    >
    >And perhaps also abstracts from DRH, TEI conferences, other related
    >conferences?

    Great idea.

    Geoffrey R.