Re: affiliate rates, conference slots, publications, legality

From: Geoffrey Rockwell (grockwel@mcmaster.ca)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 12:49:37 EDT

    Dear all,

    Thanks to John for getting the ball rolling on discussion. I like
    what he is proposing. A few further thoughts:

    For 1. (affiliate conference rates) to work we would need a simple
    way to be able to compare lists of members so that if COCH/COSH were
    to offer such a rate to members of ADHO it could easily check names.

    In general the administration of membership has proven complicated
    for CC - mainly because no one wants to do the work. I like the idea
    that better organized organizations might be able to assist smaller
    ones with membership management.

    I also like the idea of working together on an electronic
    publication. John is right to point out that the more organizations
    and volunteers there are the better such a publication would be.

    Text Technology is moving slowly in the direction of an
    e-publication. It would be important to work out how the still real
    costs of managing an e-publication would be supported by ADHO whether
    or not it is TT. At the moment TT is supported in part by
    subscriptions and partly by local grants and SSHRC grants. Without
    subscriptions we would need some other form of support. Stephen
    Ramsay has agreed to take on the electronic version of TT, at some
    point I would want to bring him and Joanne Buckley (the editor) into
    the conversation. I realize, however, that for now we are talking
    hypothetically - ie. we want to work out the ADHO and its activities
    and then work with selected other groups to move forward on
    particular initiatives.

    Yours,

    Geoffrey Rockwell