affiliate rates, conference slots, publications, legality

From: John Unsworth (jmu2m@virginia.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 17:59:04 EDT

    In order to move our deliberations forward, I want to put four specific
    proposals on the table. I look forward to a lively discussion of each.

    1. Affiliate conference rates

    Participating organizations in an umbrella organization (which I'll call
    ADHO, for allied digital humanities organizations) would agree to offer
    members of the other organizations the same terms of registration as they
    offer their own members, at their conferences. So, for example, a member
    of STS could register at the members' rate for an ACH/ALLC conference, even
    if he or she was not a member of ACH/ALLC. This would bring a benefit of
    membership to all participating organizations. It would apply at whatever
    level "membership" applied in each organization, as well, so that in TEI,
    for example, that benefit would apply to all members of a project (div3
    members) or all members of an institution (div0 members). Likewise, it
    would mean that individuals who were members of ACH or ALLC could attend
    the TEI annual meeting for free, if that's the cost for TEI members. This
    benefit would obviously need to be subject to a register-by date, for
    planning purposes.

    2. Affiliate conference slots

    Participating organizations in ADHO would draw up an agreed-upon protocol
    for proposing (and reviewing) panels in other organizations' conferences,
    and would agree on language that would be used to invite such panel
    proposals in each organization's call for papers. So, for example, there
    would be a standard mechanism for proposing a TEI panel at an ALLC
    conference, or a NINCH panel at a TEI meeting, etc..

    3. Affiliate publication

    Participating organizations in ADHO would have the option of making
    Literary and Linguistic Computing the print journal for their
    organization. LLC is owned by the ALLC, and published by Oxford
    UP. Oxford keeps track of subscriptions, sends reminders to renew, and
    provides ALLC with a portion of the income from each
    subscription--individual and institutional. Participating organizations
    could, likewise, use Oxford's subscription mechanism to keep track of their
    membership and prompt renewals of membership, and income would go back to
    the participating organization in proportion to the number of individual
    subscribers it accounted for in the journal's overall
    circulation. Institutional subscription income would be pooled, and used
    to promote the aims of ADHO, or its constituent organizations (by
    application, I suppose). One of the activities of ADHO would be a free
    electronic publication designed to promote the activities of all the
    participating organizations through high-quality, peer-reviewed, free
    scholarly publishing. The journal would also be designed not to compete
    directly with LLC, as follows:

    --it would publish "best essays" from back issues of LLC (and, if Kluwer
    wanted to participate, from CHUM), perhaps along with some updating,
    response, commentary, etc.. These selected essays would be clearly labeled
    as to their original publication source, would make it easy for readers to
    subscribe to the print journal (or join the organization, or both), and
    would not constitute enough of the back issues to make the print run of
    back issues unnecessary.

    --it would publish new essays that would appear in electronic form
    only. These would be peer-reviewed, using the same process used to review
    for LLC, but essays of this sort would presumably be things that could only
    appear in electronic form, because of their content.

    --it would publish supplementary material to essays published in the print
    journals (datasets, additional illustrations, etc.. Here again, if Kluwer
    wanted to participate, in re: CHUM, we would invite them to do so, but only
    on the condition that we could also pick "best of" from the back issues of
    CHUM.)

    --it might also encompass newsletter activities--that is, more informal
    kinds of news and publication about the participating organizations.

    For ACH, the implication of going this way would be that LLC would become
    the print journal of the ACH (as well as of the ALLC, and whatever other
    organizations sponsored it). CHUM would continue, one assumes, but it
    would be disconnected from ACH. Geoff has mentioned the possibility that
    Text Technology might become an all-electronic journal; if he's willing to
    countenance its also being free, on the terms outlined above, then it might
    morph into the electronic journal of ADHO.

    Organizations with only institutional members (like NINCH and TEI) would
    require some special adaptation of this scheme--perhaps simply the option
    to offer individuals at their member institutions a members' rate for
    subscription to LLC, or perhaps a special library rate for the journal, at
    member institutions.

    In general, this would seem to concentrate more of the reviewing and
    publishing in one or two places, making LLC (and Text Technology) stronger
    journals that draw on more authors and reviewers and represent more
    scholarly societies. It would initially cost ALLC something to do this,
    since they'd be putting their institutional income in a pool, but if the
    purpose of that pooling is to advance goals that are shared by the ALLC,
    then that may not be a problem.

    4. Legal structures, committees, meetings.

    I suggest that ADHO should not exist, legally. If legal structures are
    necessary (for holding accounts, for example) then participating
    organizations that already have legal status (ALLC, TEI, Ninch, at the
    moment) should be used. If an umbrella organization such as ADHO is
    created, the goal should be to do that in a way that uses existing
    structures as much as possible, and creates the smallest possible amount of
    new work, new meetings, new committees, etc.. To keep ourselves honest on
    that point, we should be aiming to disband two committees for every
    committee we create, or make sure that each meeting we envision will
    combine what had previously been two meetings, etc.. If we're not strict
    on that point, this exercise will have missed an important opportunity,
    whatever else it accomplishes.