Re: synergies

From: Geoffrey Rockwell (grockwel@mcmaster.ca)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 15:32:51 EDT

    I also like the local/global model for the reasons both Elisabeth and
    Julia have mentioned. Let me propose some ways the two levels could
    interact. These thoughts are based on thinking how COCH/COSH our
    Canadian Learned Society for Computing and the Humanities might
    interact.

    By way of explanation I should say that COCH/COSH is bilingual
    (French-English) though the ratio of papers often depends on where
    the Learneds take place. Each year all the Humanities and Social
    Science Federation of Canada societies have a big rolling conference
    where we have usually about two days of sessions that overlap with
    other societies (creating the opportunity for joint sessions.) People
    often come and attend sessions of more than one society - the larger
    conference model (like the MLA) is good for smaller groups and
    interdisciplinary groups. The Learneds (as they used to be called)
    are often a training ground for graduate students - that is where you
    encourage your grad students to first start presenting papers.

    1. Often local conferences take place before the ACH/ALLC. We could
    negotiate slots in the ACH/ALLC which I consider a global conference
    for the best papers from local conferences. Thus COCH/COSH might
    propose a panel on Canadian activities or by young Canadian scholars
    or a review of current COCH/COSH activities.

    2. Conversely there might be room for reports from the global to the
    local with translation. The final New Directions panel at the
    ALLC/ACH this year could be passed to local orgs, translated, and
    presented as a global picture.

    2. When the ACH/ALLC is on the other side of the pond from a local
    conference, the local conference can be a place for graduate students
    who could not afford the trip to present. This came up in the ACH
    membership subcommittee - many cannot afford the trip when it is not
    on their continent. I suspect that is especially true of people not
    in North America or Europe.

    3. Some of the local organizations may be doing things that are on
    our wish list and they too may be interested in synergies. COCH/COSH
    has taken on Text Technology that was faltering and we are trying to
    turn it into an online journal. CC also has a newsletter. There might
    be a way for the global organization to contract specific tasks to
    local ones. For example a personal newsfeed/newsletter could be done
    by one organization for all the others. Items would be added to a
    database that then sent out a newsletter with only the items that fit
    the users profile. If we define the function and write an RFP we
    might find a local outfit willing to do it our way if it means
    getting support.

    Yours,

    Geoffrey R.