Re: synergies

From: Julia Flanders (Julia_Flanders@brown.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 14:48:12 EDT

    I agree, a set of relationships between local and global structures
    makes sense. One certainly doesn't want to eliminate the local level,
    which is what people identify with closely and provides insight into
    local goals and needs. But it's the global level that allows for
    certain economies of scale and helps ensure cooperation and eliminate
    duplication.

    I wonder whether this local/global structure would also help with the
    languages question, which I think is both knotty and important. I do
    think it's important that a global organization (or one which aspires
    to attain greater globality) conduct itself in more than just
    English, or at the very least provide good-quality points of contact
    and entry in languages other than English. To some extent, this has
    to be an outreach activity--if we're really interested in broadening
    our membership and scope, we can't wait until we have consituencies
    in language X before providing materials in language X, or it will
    never happen. It would be also to some degree a remedial effort,
    since the groups we're talking about (at least ACH, TEI, and NINCH,
    maybe ALLC?) are currently almost exclusively English-language, and
    at least the TEI and ALLC have a broader linguistic base of users.
    [I'm leaving vague for the moment the question of who the "we" here
    really is; trying to think in general terms for now.]

    But since I suspect limited resources (which are what got this
    investigation started in the first place) will make it difficult for
    the global organization(s) to be fully and broadly multilingual, it
    might be necessary to think of workable compromises to start off
    with. Giving the local organizations responsibility for providing
    access in the locally needed languages, and providing for liaisons
    between each local group and the larger organization to facilitate
    whatever linguistic points of contact are needed there, would provide
    a structure for multilinguality without a top-down approach which
    might not be very efficient.

    I'm not sure if an account this vaguely and generally put is of any
    use at all; I'm mostly just reflecting on Elisabeth's comment and
    hoping that there's a practical way of achieving what I imagine to be
    her goal.