Re: Process Suggestion

From: John Unsworth (jmu2m@virginia.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 22:15:50 EDT

    Thanks, Geoff, for your note (comments below). I hope others will check in
    at least to say hello, and I hope Chuck might say a word about the
    Getty/museums version of this same conversation/conundrum.

    >1. Agree on a chair. We might also agree on a system for managing notes.
    >My vote is that we rotate note taking.

    Proceedings of this email list will be (are, have been) archived at
    http://lists.village.virginia.edu/lists_archive/adhoc/, but note-taking at
    face-to-face meetings will be needed.

    >2. Agree on a schedule. Harold Short had suggestions regarding some
    >deadlines that would suit the ALLC, in particular the idea that we have
    >something for the mid-academic year ALLC meeting.

    Let's try to establish those deadlines now, or in the next week or so, and
    include conference calls, face to face meetings, draft recommendations,
    final recommendations.

    >3. Have a series of conference calls. The chair would coordinate these. If
    >the chair doesn't have experience running voice conferences then we could
    >nominate someone else for the conferences.

    We need to find a volunteer host for these calls. Does anyone have
    institutional resources available for this sort of thing?

    >4. Write a first draft of a proposal to get wider input.

    The immediate audience for whatever we do in the next eight months will be
    the executive bodies of the four organizations participating--but there
    will certainly be others who will be interested.

    >5. Identify the processes needed to get parts of the proposal through the
    >respective organizations. Based on this we may need to meet and we can
    >allocate responsibilities to members of the adhoc group to take their
    >sections through their organizations. This will take some careful choreography.

    I think instead we should, at least initially, concentrate on what are the
    issues to be addressed, and divvy those up---publications, conferences,
    business and legal services, member services.....others?

    >7. Hopefully it all comes together in Georgia at the next ACH/ALLC.

    Actually, our first deadline will be the May TEI Board meeting....

    >If you all agree to at least the first step then we need people to
    >nominate themselves or others to be chair. Do not be modest! We need a
    >chair soon who is willing to herd us by phone, by face2face and by e-mail.

    Indeed, please.

    John