Process Suggestion

From: Geoffrey Rockwell (grockwel@mcmaster.ca)
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 19:47:56 EDT

    Dear all,

    To follow up on John's welcome note I propose we proceed in this fashion.

    1. Agree on a chair. We might also agree on a system for managing
    notes. My vote is that we rotate note taking.

    2. Agree on a schedule. Harold Short had suggestions regarding some
    deadlines that would suit the ALLC, in particular the idea that we
    have something for the mid-academic year ALLC meeting.

    3. Have a series of conference calls. The chair would coordinate
    these. If the chair doesn't have experience running voice conferences
    then we could nominate someone else for the conferences.

    4. Write a first draft of a proposal to get wider input.

    5. Identify the processes needed to get parts of the proposal through
    the respective organizations. Based on this we may need to meet and
    we can allocate responsibilities to members of the adhoc group to
    take their sections through their organizations. This will take some
    careful choreography.

    7. Hopefully it all comes together in Georgia at the next ACH/ALLC.

    If you all agree to at least the first step then we need people to
    nominate themselves or others to be chair. Do not be modest! We need
    a chair soon who is willing to herd us by phone, by face2face and by
    e-mail.

    Yours,

    Geoffrey Rockwell