welcome

From: John Unsworth (jmu2m@virginia.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 16 2002 - 10:05:45 EDT

    Welcome to the adhoc (allied digital humanities organizations committee)
    discussion list. The allied organizations taking part in this discussion,
    through designated representatives, are:

    The Association for Literary and Linguistic Computing
    The Association for Computers and the Humanities
    The National Initiative for Networked Cultural Heritage
    The Text Encoding Initiative Consortium

    There are other organizations of similar size and purpose who could be
    included in a later expansion of this conversation, but for now, we start
    with these four.

    The purpose of this list (and this committee) is to discuss ways in which
    four small digital humanities organizations might cooperate to achieve
    efficiency and economies. Possible areas of discussion will include:

    --the legal forms these organizations take, and whether those could be
    shared (e.g., non-profit corporations, foundations etc.)

    --the business services these organizations require, and whether those
    could be shared (e.g., fund-raising, accounting, membership services, etc.)

    --the publications these organizations produce, and whether those could be
    combined (e.g., journals, newsletters, etc.)

    --the events these organizations sponsor, and whether those could be
    combined (e.g, conferences, training sessions, etc.)

    Other issues beyond these may certainly arise, but these are predictable
    topics with which to begin.

    Our time-line is a little over eight months: by May 1st, we should have
    produced concrete recommendations to present to the executive boards
    of each of the four organizations. In formulating and presenting those
    recommendations, we should specifically address the organizational issues
    (bylaws, funds, organizational identity and mission, etc.) that they will
    raise for each of the participating organizations.

    The members of this list are:

    David Green (NINCH)
    Chuck Henry (NINCH)
    Harold Short (TEI)
    Julia Flanders (TEI)
    Espen Ore (ALLC)
    Elisabeth Burr (ALLC)
    Geoff Rockwell (ACH)
    John Unsworth (ACH)

    Of course, many of us are involved in more than one of the four
    organizations, so the assignment of roles is somewhat arbitrary, but it
    will be important for each of us to pay particular attention to the issues
    and perspectives of the organization we are identified with in the list
    above.

    The proceedings of the discussion will be archived on the web at:

    http://lists.village.virginia.edu/lists_archive/adhoc/

    and the archive is not currently password-protected, though it could be, if
    committee members feel that is important. It is "disallowed" from indexing
    by a robots.txt file, so it should not show up in search engines.

    The list itself can be addressed at adhoc@lists.village.virginia.edu, and
    the addresses from which posting will be accepted are:

    jmu2m@virginia.edu
    chhenry@rice.edu
    Harold.Short@kcl.ac.uk
    Elisabeth.Burr@uni-duisburg.de
    david@ninch.org
    Julia_Flanders@brown.edu
    espen.ore@nb.no
    grockwel@mcmaster.ca

    If you foresee the need to post from a variant or completely different
    address, please let me know, so I can add that address (or variant) to the
    permitted list.

    I'd like to pass the talking stick to Geoff Rockwell now, because I think
    Geoff has some ideas about how we should proceed. I'd also like to invite
    Chuck Henry to say a few words about a similar discussion which may be
    starting up in the museum community soon.

    John Unsworth