20.388 editing (not) obsolete

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 07:31:37 +0000

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

   [1] From: "hinton_at_springnet1.com" <hinton_at_springnet1.com> (10)
         Subject: Re: 20.384 is editing obsolete?

   [2] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk> (77)
         Subject: obsolescence

         Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 07:14:01 +0000
         From: "hinton_at_springnet1.com" <hinton_at_springnet1.com>

Jim, Time -- at least traditionally , I haven't read one in years --
offered a particular problem, since all the writing was processed
into "TIMEspeak", with its peculiar high instance of VSO sentences,
plethora of adjectives, and adverbs. etc. ("backward ran sentences
till reeled the mind"- I think it was F. P. Adams who said it.)

And editorial slants snuck in grammatically -- someone once said that
Eisenhower would be described as "striding purposefully" even if he
were simply going to brush his teeth.

Individual style, even when people like Agee were writing, turned
into a sort of Velveeta cheese for the mind.