19.691 text-analytic fantasies and realities

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 07:00:40 +0100

                   www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

   [1] From: Matthew Jockers <mjockers_at_stanford.edu> (29)
         Subject: Re: 19.687 text-analytic fantasies and realities

   [2] From: Pat Galloway <galloway_at_ischool.utexas.edu> (15)
         Subject: Text Analysis as a literary clock

         Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 06:55:14 +0100
         From: Matthew Jockers <mjockers_at_stanford.edu>

Ryan,

What you are asking for is exactly what I have been working on for
several years now. At last year's meeting of the ACH/ALLC (Uvic) I
presented some preliminary results in my paper titled "A
Macro-Economic Model for Literary Research." I am especially
interested in time-series analysis (the ties to macroeconomics are
obvious here) and in looking for possible correlations between
literary productivity, style, etc. and market, social, historical and
geographical forces. I've got three chapters in a book ms done, and
next year I will be in residence at the Stanford Humanities Center
completing the manuscript and rewriting a tool set I developed to
support this work. The original tools I developed in php, but now
I'm working in Java and tweaking the XTF text archiving application
so that I have the power of Lucene indexing on the backside.

More important to your own interests and to those of other list
members, --while at the Humanities center next year I'll be running a
workshop titled "Literary Studies and the Digital Library: Beyond
Search and Access" in which I'll bring together scholars, librarians,
content vendors, and developers for discussions about these sort of
subjects--how can we leverage all of the digital content coming on
line for new sorts of research?

My plan is to make these meetings public via web cast and/or video
conf. At the very least as pod casts. As soon as the details are
available, I'll post to the list.

In the meantime, thanks for posting the suggestion--it reconfirms the
sanity of my project.

Matt

--
Matthew L. Jockers