13.0135 online publication

Thu, 12 Aug 1999 20:13:29 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Chris Ann Matteo <chrisann@walrus.com> (39)
Subject: Re: 13.0128 online publication

[2] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk> (30)
Subject: free vs. proprietary publications

Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 20:14:11 +0100
From: Chris Ann Matteo <chrisann@walrus.com>

My friend Bob Scott at Columbia caught me sneaking about the library halls
yesterday, and reminded me that I intended to let the list know what
became of my electronic pre-publication dilemma.

J-C Guedon offered a fascinating, and hopefully inspiring, account of the
various institutional issues involved. I can only share my own personal
decision.

I opted to mount the full-text of the talk on my own account and link it
to my online vita. Thus I coded and maintain both of these documents. I
gave the link to the webmaster of the conference website, and now it is
linked also to that source. The file is headed and concluded with very
scary (although perhaps vain) copyright statements. I plan to seek either
a peer-reviewed print or online journal, but it will remain as a
convenience, a part of my online record, until such a venue is secured.

I think this has a lot of advantages and limited risks. As long as I
remain active in seeking another publication venue for it, I think the
chances of being scooped by another qualified academic are slim -- after
all, several authoritative pairs of eyes and ears were at the talk.
Students might steal it, sure, but I have a hunch that Bakhtin's critical
jargon would be a clear tip-off.

As an advantage, folks whom I have met at the conference and I can
exchange work at a low cost. Like sharing my phone number, I can choose
with whom I share the link -- and likewise, it's not always possible to
avoid a random obscene phone call or an impertinent salesman. I have
chosen to do this for another paper I am scheduled to give at NASSR'99 on
Sunday. I have a rather unappealing time-slot in the program (one of the
last sessions on the meeting's last day...), so this way I can mention it
to folks I meet at the conference, in advance of the actual talk, and
perhaps I will be able to get some timely feedback even if audience
turnout is sparse.

Thanks for the helpful thoughts on electronic prepublishing.

* Chris Ann Matteo .("."). *
| chrisann@walrus.com ( \ : / ) The finest language is mostly made|
* Comparative Lit (`'-.;;;.-'`) up of simple unimposing words... *
| Princeton U (:-==;;;;;==-:) signs of something unspeakably |
* ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ( .-';;;'-. ) great and beautiful. *
| 69 Tiemann Place (` / : \ `) |
* Apartment 31 '-(_/ \_)-' George Eliot, ADAM BEDE *
| NY NY 10027 USA " |