13.0132 economics, sociology, history of science

Thu, 12 Aug 1999 20:13:01 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: "Norman D. Hinton" <hinton@springnet1.com> (18)
Subject: Re: 13.0130 economics, sociology & the history of our
science

[2] From: Francois Lachance <lachance@chass.utoronto.ca> (53)
Subject: Heteroglossia vs Common Language

Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 19:47:44 +0100
From: "Norman D. Hinton" <hinton@springnet1.com>
Subject: Re: 13.0130 economics, sociology & the history of our science

Willard, I recall that years ago a distinguished Miltonist told me (I
won't give out his name -- let him rest in peace) "We control the field
now, and we have the say in what's published. It's really helped
channel research in good directions." By "we" he meant himself and
maybe 10-12 other Miltonists, who were in a position to say which books
and articles got printed and which did not. I hope that in the
intervening years things have changed in Milton scholarship....
I recently approved an article for publication in a journal for which
I'm a referee and said something like "I do not agree with the
conclusions of this piece. But what it is suggesting is powerful and
important for us to take into consideration, and the field would be the
poorer without this speculation."

I've never forgotten (though I have forgotten her name) a woman who got
the Nobel a few years ago for her work on grasses. Botanists tell me
that for years she was tolerated in the field as a kind of benign
eccentric, and her articles were published but not attended to. Now
they are regarded as indispensible....at least the situation on Botany
was better than it was in Milton. and as I know you are thinking right
now, we Humanists are supposed to be the ones with open minds.....