12.0489 scanning Fraktur; grammar & spell-checkers

Tue, 9 Mar 1999 08:30:50 +0000 (BST)

[1] From: Fotis Jannidis <Fotis.Jannidis@lrz.uni- (15)
muenchen.de>
Subject: Re: Scanning Fraktur?

[2] From: Eric Johnson <johnsone@jupiter.dsu.edu> (6)
Subject: Grammar and spell checkers

Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 08:25:41 +0000
From: Fotis Jannidis <Fotis.Jannidis@lrz.uni-muenchen.de>

> From: Bob Godwin-Jones <rgjones@atlas.vcu.edu>
> >
> Anyone know of any scanning software capable of dealing with Fraktur?

You can't use omnifont ocr software, but only programs which can
be trained to use a font. OCR software which does work like this is
not easy to find: I only know Prolector and Optopus. But be warned:
You have to teach the program every single font the text uses.
Especially with hot-metal setting (Bleisatz) the differences between
the instances of one letter can be so great, that you have to train
more than one instance for every letter. In short: As far as I know it
is easier (and cheaper) to have somebody type texts in Fraktur than
to use OCR software.
But we all hope this can be changed. Maybe somebody knows a
better solution?
Fotis Jannidis

Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 08:26:22 +0000
From: Eric Johnson <johnsone@jupiter.dsu.edu>

Those who are interested in the recent discussion of spell checkers
might want to read my article "The Current State of Grammar and Style
Checkers." It is on the Web at:

http://www.dsu.edu/~johnsone/grammar.html

--Eric Johnson
johnsone@jupiter.dsu.edu