12.0491 new on WWW: Hypertext Scholarship in American Studies

Tue, 9 Mar 1999 08:31:49 +0000 (BST)

Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 08:28:49 +0000
From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>
Subject: Hypertext Scholarship in American Studies

NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
March 8th 1999

HYPERTEXT SCHOLARSHIP IN AMERICAN STUDIES
<http://chnm.gmu.edu/aq>

>Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 17:37:55 -0500
>From: Lloyd Benson <Lloyd.Benson@furman.edu>
>
>Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 11:02:54 -0500
>From: Roy A Rosenzweig <rrosenzw@gmu.edu>
>Subject: Re: E-DOCS: re: E-Journals in History

HYPERTEXT SCHOLARSHIP IN AMERICAN STUDIES (http://chnm.gmu.edu/aq)

How will hypertext and new media change the nature of scholarly
argument, communication, and publication? Although there has been much
theorizing about hypertext and scholarship, there are very few concrete
examples of scholars using hypertext and new media to present the results
of sustained inquiry into the subjects that they study. In order to
encourage experimentation in this arena, American Quarterly in
collaboration with the American Studies Crossroads Project at Georgetown
University and the Center for History & New Media at George Mason
University has launched an experiment in hypertext publishing.

Last Spring we solicited proposals for scholarly hypertext projects
and selected four "articles" to be developed. The "beta" versions of those
articles have now been published on line. We invite you to take a look and
offer your own reactions in the on-line forum that we are sponsoring. In
June, American Quarterly will publish a print forum in which three scholars
will offer their comments on the experiment and the authors will present
brief statements about their intentions.

The four articles are:
** "The Spanish American War in US Media Culture" by James Castonguay
** "Dreaming Arnold Schwarzenegger" by Louise Krasniewicz and Michael Blitz
** "Hearsay of the Sun: Photography, Identity, and the Law of Evidence in
Nineteenth-Century American Courts" by Thomas Thurston
** "From Hogan's Alley to Coconino County: Three Narratives of the Early Comic
Strip" by David Westbrook

The articles are posted at http://chnm.gmu.edu/aq

Roy Rosenzweig
Guest Editor, AQ Hypertext Scholarship Section
Director, Center for History & New Media (http://chnm.gmu.edu)
Rrosenzw@gmu.edu

| Roy Rosenzweig |
| Dept. of History, MS-3G1 Home: |
| George Mason University 511 N. Jackson St. |
| Fairfax, VA 22030-4444 Arlington, VA 22201 |
| W: 703-993-1247 H: 703-522-2334 |
| email: rrosenzw@gmu.edu Fax (work): 703-993-1251|
| Director, Center for History & New Media |
| http://chnm.gmu.edu |

David L. Green
Executive Director
NATIONAL INITIATIVE FOR A NETWORKED CULTURAL HERITAGE
21 Dupont Circle, NW
Washington DC 20036
http://www.ninch.org
david@ninch.org
202/296-5346 202/872-0886 fax

See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at
<http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>.
NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
March 8th 1999

Humanist Discussion Group