9.375 encoding: weights & measures

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Mon, 11 Dec 1995 20:42:46 -0500 (EST)

http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/

[1] From: FLANNAGAN@ouvaxa.cats.ohiou.edu (39)
Subject: RE: 9.373 encoding: weights & measures

[2] From: Robin Cover <robin@utafll.uta.edu> (116)
Subject: weightings (certainty tags)

Date: Sun, 10 Dec 1995 11:02:50 EST
From: FLANNAGAN@ouvaxa.cats.ohiou.edu

On weighing evidence, and tagging the process:

It's a good idea, but it is also something else that complicates
life and makes us work too hard.

I could label a simile in {Paradise Lost} as an epic simile (at least,
say, six lines, with a clear tenor and a clear vehicle, if that's what
I said a Miltonic epic simile consisted of). But if my lower limit for
number of lines is six, what am I to do with a five-line simile,
especially if it does begin with "like" or "as"? Should I say "almost
an epic simile," or "a half-simile," or "a half-baked simile"? Should
I, pace Willard, say "60% simile"?

The problem of interpretation enters again, and I would have to make
the delimiters for "epic simile" absolutely clear, perhaps deriving
them only from Milton's practice in {Paradise Lost}. Then there is the
problem of comparing Milton's practice to c17 practice in general--or
Homer's practice, for that matter.

The problem discovering or of coming clean about what is evidence or
meaningful evidence is also difficult. I was just reading a paper
submitted to {Milton Quarterly} in which the author said something like
"sixty percent of the words associated with the sense of taste are
given to Eve, whereas forty percent are given to Adam" (I am fudging
the figures). The author did not tell the reader what the words were,
although he did say what concordance he got them from. His reader
really needs to know what the words *he* thinks are associated with
taste are, and the reader needs some hard statistics about who uses
them when.

So, Willard, we are back to the problem of creating endless encoding,
and entering infinitely-varied SGML codes, all of which have to be
located and punched in scrupulously and meticulously, or we will have
failed as scholars.

Roy Flannagan