9.377 troublesome characters

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Mon, 11 Dec 1995 20:42:00 -0500 (EST)

http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/

[1] From: Fred Levy <flevy@u.washington.edu> (13)
Subject: Re: 9.371 editorial matters for Humanist

[2] From: Robin Cover <robin@utafll.uta.edu> (18)
Subject: MIMEd email messages

Date: Sun, 10 Dec 1995 11:47:53 -0800 (PST)
From: Fred Levy <flevy@u.washington.edu>

Willard:

A guess about the "corrupt" message. I've done the same thing on my PINE
account at the University of Washington, though I did it locally. The
problem was, apparently, that I had written the file on a word processor
and had neglected to save it in ASCII. So far as I could make out, the
offending byte was the one for the so-called "smart quotes." Apparently
different programs read these upper-ASCII characters differently. Hence...

The solution would seem to be to insist (if that's possible) that
subscribers be careful in their use of anything other than ASCII files.
Most of us simply use the respond command in PINE, so there's no
problem. It's when we do something fancy that the fun begins.

I hope this helps.

Best,
Fritz Levy