9.376 announcements

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Mon, 11 Dec 1995 20:40:40 -0500 (EST)

http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/

[1] From: Ron Burnett <czbu@musica.mcgill.ca> (18)
Subject: New Book on Visual Media

[2] From: Maurizio Lana <lana@cisi.unito.it> (21)
Subject: Hyper-G, new hyper-all on the Internet

[3] From: creamer@urvax.urich.edu (54)
Subject: Milton Review

[4] From: Pamela Cohen <pac@rci.rutgers.edu> (271)
Subject: Internet day of protest

Date: Sun, 10 Dec 1995 13:47:18 -0400
From: Ron Burnett <czbu@musica.mcgill.ca>

Members of the Humanist list may be interested in a
new book on Media which addresses many of the problems
associated with working upon and interpreting popular
forms of cultural expression.

"Cultures of Vision: Images, Media and the Imaginary" by Ron Burnett
Director, Graduate Program in Communications at McGill University,
published by Indiana University Press, November, 1995
355 pages with bibiliography and index. ($19.95 U.S.)

<Late twentieth century culture is saturated with images. As home
photographs shift from the print format to digital technology and as video
moves from the television screen to multimedia, it is crucial to develop
new strategies of interpreting and analysing these images. "Cultures of
Vision" begins with photography and ends with an examination of postmodern
media communities. The book studies video images, from the avant-garde to
community media - to open up debate on the widespread and growing
phenomenon of video practice.>
The table of contents can be found at
http://www.facl.mcgill.ca/burnett/englishhome.html>