6.0184 Rs: Guys; Aristotle (Was Text/Crit) (2/31)

Tue, 4 Aug 1992 17:39:29 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0184. Tuesday, 4 Aug 1992.

(1) Date: 04 Aug 1992 08:17:47 -0600 (MDT) (16 lines)
From: OCRAMER@CCNODE.Colorado.EDU
Subject: Re: 6.0179 Rs: Guys

(2) Date: Mon, 3 Aug 92 17:09:14 EST (15 lines)
From: jporter@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Jim Porter)
Subject: Re: Aristotle's "On Comedy"

Date: 04 Aug 1992 08:17:47 -0600 (MDT)
From: OCRAMER@CCNODE.Colorado.EDU

Re: George Lang on "guys" and egalitarian I-E society; how about Athens
to or through the Hellenistic? (Or ancient Greek and Latin generally?)
_Su_ seems to be factually singular, _humeis_ plural, and the only singular-
plural oddity in the verb system is the singular for a neuter-plural collec-
tive. In Latin there's a _nos_ for "I" which (as in Vergil's first Eclogue
near the top) clearly isn't a power-assertive plural but maybe inclusive
(a plural of solidarity, nascent?). The old standard story is that the
deferential plural came in in the time of Diocletian (3rd cent. CE) when
there really *were* four emperors and they demanded to be addressed in
the plural--but by then there were all sorts of titles of respect etc. in
the system, replacing the Augustan conceit of a citizen-emperor.
Owen Cramer, Colorado College