6.0185 Oxford Text Archive Catalogue (1/145)

Wed, 12 Aug 1992 15:22:14 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0185. Wednesday, 12 Aug 1992.

Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1992 14:22:16 +0100 (BST)
From: Oxford Text Archive <archive@ox.ac.uk>
Subject: Oxford Text Archive: new catalogue available

A new version of the Oxford Text Archive's Shortlist is now available,
from the usual sources (details at the end of this message). A few
copies of the last published catalogue (April 1992) are also still
available on request; we're not sure when we'll be reprinting again, as
it's now getting rather too expensive to print.

Since April of this year, we've acquired about 30 new texts. The text
number and brief details, including depositor's name and affiliation,
follow. We'd like to record our gratitude, on behalf of the scholarly
community, to those depositors who support the Archive by depositing
texts with us, and also those who take existing texts, enhance them and
then re-deposit them. We greatly appreciate their altruism, which
shines 'like a good deed in a naughty world' even though we may not
always get the time to say so!

Lou Burnard
Alan Morrison

OTA ACCESSIONS SINCE APRIL 1992

1. Newly deposited texts:

1696: Joyce, Finnegans wake (Donald Theall, Trent Univ)
1699: Treaty on European Union: Maastricht, February 1992).
(David Pollard Publishing)
1700: Serbo-Croatian text corpus (Henning Moerk, Aarhus Univ.)
1681: Selected Harley lyrics, ed Brooks (John Price-Wilkin, Michigan)
1683: Octovian (John Price-Wilkin, Michigan)
1690: Pope, Rape of the lock (Hugh Robertson, Huddersfield)
1703: Wordlists derived from the CHILDES database
(Jane Edwards, Berkeley)

Plus the following new titles from Project Gutenberg:

1697: Hawthorne, The scarlet letter
1692: Sophocles (translations), Oedipus trilogy
1695: Gilman, Herland
1701-2: Wells, War of the Worlds; The time machine

2. New versions of existing texts

1691: The King James Bible (Andrews, Saskatchewan)
1704: Wordsworth, Lyrical Ballads (Bear, Oregon)
52: Malamud, The Assistant (Peter Gilliver, OED)

Plus the following titles, all reformatted using an SGML-like
encoding by John Price-Wilkin at Michigan:

1694: The works of Mr William Shakespeare (1623)
1675: Alliterative Morte Arthure
1676: Anthology of Chancery English
1677: Gower, Confessio amantis
1678: Chaucer, Canterbury tales
1679: Everyman
1680: Sir Gawayne and the grene knyght
1682: Layamon,Brut
1684: Owl and the nightingale
1685: Paston family, Letters and papers of the 15th century vol 1 only
1686: Pearl
1687: Langland, The vision of Piers Plowman (B text)
1688: The siege of Jerusalem
1689: Chaucer,Troilus & Criseyde
1693: Michigan early modern English materials

HOW TO GET COPIES OF THE OTA SHORTLIST

1. By FTP

You must have an account on a machine which is connected to the Internet
to use this method. If you do, type
FTP black.ox.ac.uk
at it. If it gives an unhelpful response, try
FTP 129.67.1.165
instead. If all is well, it will reply
Connected to ... (blah blah blah)
You will be prompted to supply a Name. Enter
FTP
You will prompted for a password. At this point you can type 'strawberry
jam' or whatever you like; we'd be grateful if you just typed in your
real e-mail address. It will say
Guest login ok: access restrictions apply.
ftp>

You are now talking to the standard File Transfer Protocol program. You
can do a variety of things, which your local computer support people can
explain to you a lot better than I. For the purposes of illustration
however, let's assume you want to (a) check what is currently available
(b) obtain a copy of the current shortlist from the Archive.

To do (a), you should type
cd /ota (this selects the Text Archive directory
ls (this lists all the filenames and directories there
or
ls -l (this does the same thing, but with an embarassing wealth of
(detail about their sizes, access permissions etc.

To do (b), you should type
cd /ota (this selects the Text Archive directory
get textarchive.list
(this requests a copy of the formatted version
(of the OTA snapshot. It will be transferred then and there
(to a file of the same or similar name on your machine.
or
get textarchive.list foo.bar
(this does the same thing, but renames the file as 'foo.bar'

Other useful files:
textarchive.info : general information about the Archive
textarchive.sgml : same information as in textarchive.list, but in SGML
textarchive.form : order form (also included in textarchive.info)

When you've finished, remember to type
bye
to return to your own machine.

2. By request from the Humanist ListServer

Send a mail message to Listserv@brownvm.brown.edu, containing the
line
GET OTALIST SGML (for the SGML version)
or
GET OTALIST LIST (for the formatted version)

3. By request

You can send us email requests to either of the following addresses,
and we'll do our best to reply within 24 hours -- holidays and other
committments permitting.

ARCHIVE@UK.AC.OXFORD.VAX (Janet)

archive@ox.ac.uk (InterNet)

Oxford Text Archive