3.908 Bloom, Hirsch, and noisy English (135)

Mon, 8 Jan 90 20:22:15 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 908. Monday, 8 Jan 1990.

(1) Date: Fri, 05 Jan 90 22:05:35 CST (18 lines)
From: ENCOPE@LSUVM
Subject: Why are Bloom and Hirsch marginalized?

(2) Date: Sat, 06 Jan 90 01:16 CST (21 lines)
From: <ASNIDEPD@UIAMVS>
Subject: Cope Contra Kennedy

(3) Date: 06 Jan 90 20:24:52 EST (71 lines)
From: Jim Cahalan <JMCAHAL@IUP.BITNET>
Subject: VIVA ENGLISH

Date: Fri, 05 Jan 90 22:05:35 CST
From: ENCOPE@LSUVM

A Mr. Bantz asks why I would claim that best-selling authors like Bloom
and Hirsch are, to use the current academic cant, "marginalized." As my
posting to HUMANIST makes clear, I was railing at, and continue to rail
at, the political prejudices of academics. Can anyone seriously pretend
that either Bloom or Hirsch have many supporters in the academy? Or can
anyone doubt that a reply like that of Mr. Bantz's is the best evidence
for my point, to wit, that academics are intolerant of persons with
conservative views and that a good many scholars hold the views of the
majority, the audience of Bloom and Hirsch, in contempt? If Mr. Bantz
would like to see an example of intemperance, he should look at his own
posting, which assumes that the opinions of those many persons who
adulate Bloom and Hirsch must be wrong! Small wonder that a list like
ENGLISH can attract only a small readership if it features condescension.
Perhaps ENGLISH should be marginalized.