3.909 e-mail and e-texts (80)

Mon, 8 Jan 90 20:23:39 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 909. Monday, 8 Jan 1990.

(1) Date: Sat, 6 Jan 90 01:22:00 EST (25 lines)
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@OAC.UCLA.EDU>
Subject: Re: 3.901 the silence of English (96)

(2) Date: Mon, 08 Jan 90 12:18:42 CST (36 lines)
From: "Michael S. Hart" <HART@UIUCVMD>
Subject: Re: Machine readable texts

Date: Sat, 6 Jan 90 01:22:00 EST
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@OAC.UCLA.EDU>

I should think that e-mail is more like mail, and less like books or
writing. I have written many letters in my lifetime, many thousands,
and since the decline of letter writing I find that many friends urge
me to publish my letters over the decades, although I have few enough
replies over the decades. Is that the silence of dialogues without
dialogue? I rather like e-mail since it saves going to the postoffice
and quickens conversation, when there is such, with distant friends.
What humanism has to do with it, I cannot guess. These days, I mean.
Maimonides wrote a lot of letters, but he had no telephone nor e-mail
either. So did Erasmus. No support groups for him. I mean no tax
support for his email either. E mail is nicely informal not
essayistinc, nor even like letter writing , since it is much shorter and
less portentous. Let us treat it as nice convenience. Take Mike Heim
for instance. A colleague of mine, he is. How many conversations has
it been possible to have with him over 20 years? He dont talk much, not
to me. He dont eat no lunches wit faculty; he busy with his translation
work. Surprised he is even on screen like dis here. What with Prague
so lively these days, I am surprised he has time to look at the screen!
Best wishes for 1990
. Kessler at UCLA