[tei-council] TEI Council Chair Elections 2015

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Tue Dec 2 09:16:25 EST 2014

Hi TEI Technical Council,

As you from last year the TEI Technical Council Chair is elected
at the first teleconference to be held in 2015. The bylaws say:

"The Chair of the Technical Council shall be elected by the
voting Members of the TEI-C Technical Council from its membership
and shall serve as the chief technical officer of the Consortium.
If no Technical Council Member is able or willing to assume the
chair, the Technical Council may request the Board of Directors
to second one of its elected members to the role, or it may
nominate a non-elected individual."

I may have mentioned that I won't be standing as chair this year
I've done it a number of years in a row and hope we've
successfully migrated to the annual election system for it.

In general we follow this vague procedure, but we're about a week
behind schedule:
http://wiki.tei-c.org/index.php/TEI-Council-FAQ#How_is_the_TEI_Technical_Council_Chair_elected.3F

If you are interested in the duties of the chair, they include
those listed at:
http://wiki.tei-c.org/index.php/TEI-Council-FAQ#TEI_Technical_Council_Chair

If any of you have any questions about whether you would make a
good chair, I'm happy to answer them offlist if you want.

Anyone who does want to be the chair should think about it and
then send a short statement announcing your candidacy to the
Council mailing list.  Let's say you have until midnight in your
local timezone on *Friday 5 December* to do so. We're all
reasonable adults and so I don't think there should be any
animosity if multiple people run...in fact I'd encourage it, so
don't be put off if someone announces their candidacy before you.

Happy to answer questions both on and off the list, and I
encourage you all to run. :-)  (If everyone did run, and voted
for themselves, then I guess as the only person not running I'd
have the casting vote!)

-James

Dr James Cummings, James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk