[tei-council] standoff

Hugh Cayless philomousos at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 11:44:56 EST 2014

METS is a pretty heavyweight solution. I’d use it if I wanted to bundle together a bunch of files with metadata. <xenoData> is lighter-weight and allows you to plop in arbitrary non-TEI (meta)data in your TEI file. And, yeah, <standoff> gives you a place to put existing tools to wire up your TEI document using TEI linking mechanisms.

I can see all three being potentially useful. I suppose <xenoData> and <standoff> could be combined into a <miscellaneousCrap> container if you wanted, but I’m not sure there’s any advantage to that. I don’t think forcing people to learn METS in order to add a bit of Dublin Core to their TEI doc is wise.

Hugh