[tei-council] standoff

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Fri Nov 28 11:13:30 EST 2014

On 14-11-28 07:10 AM, Peter Stadler wrote:

> Am 28.11.2014 um 15:24 schrieb Lou Burnard <lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk>:
>
>> I agree that we should not waste time re-inventing METS.
> Why do we then bother with „xenoData“ and not tell people to use METS?

METS is one standard that some people use. I don't use it myself. I do
use lots of other standards (Dublin Core, OAI...) and I'd like to be
able to put that data in there.

We seem to be getting at least three different proposals completely
confused now. The METS thing arose out of Peter's idea of creating a
binary zip format for a TEI package. The xenoData thing is a place to
put _any_ metadata in a non-TEI namespace. The <standoff> element (as I
understand it, at least) is a place to put standoff TEI markup that
doesn't have a natural home.