[tei-council] F2F Duke

Hugh Cayless philomousos at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 08:37:59 EST 2014

Some updates before you all arrive this weekend:

I fear we are experiencing what's called the Polar Vortex being pushed
south, meaning that instead of the 70ºF/22ºC weather we were having at the
beginning of this week, you get the 45ºF/7ºC version of November instead.
Monday is supposed to be wet, though a little warmer.

As you will have noticed, the hotel isn't all that close to the Duke
campus. Since there will be football games that make on-or-near-campus
accommodations tricky on Saturday and Thursday, and since restaurants and
things are a bit of a hike from where you'd be staying on campus anyway, I
opted for something closer to my house instead. There are probably a
hundred restaurants, a large shopping mall, grocery stores, a movie
theatre, etc. within either an easy walk or a short ride on the hotel
shuttle. For those of you into exercise, there are entrances to the
American Tobacco Trail (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Tobacco_Trail)
going north or south a half mile from the hotel down Renaissance Parkway.
UNC's campus is quite close and you can get there on the 800 Triangle
Transit Authority (TTA) bus (
http://www.triangletransit.org/sites/default/files/maps-and-schedules/RoutesAndSchedules-800.pdf).
Or you can bribe Paul to drive you around.

On Saturday, I will be a long way away at a girls soccer tournament,
probably not back in the area until about 6:00pm. I'm very happy to come
and have dinner with those of you arriving on Saturday if you're willing to
wait until a bit later. On Sunday afternoon I'll be picking up a van
capable of holding all of us. Dinner on Sunday is at my place. I'll pick
you up from the hotel about 5:30, if that sounds reasonable. Monday's
dinner is at Josh Sosin's house (also near the hotel), about 6:30. Tuesday,
I was thinking maybe Mexican.

My cell phone is (+1) 919 260 6103 if you need me. I'm planning on picking
up from the hotel at about 8:15 in the mornings. It's about a 15 minute
drive + a 10 minute walk, and that will give us a chance to get sorted
out/obtain coffee/etc. before we start at 9:00. I haven't ordered coffee
service because there's a very good cafe just downstairs from where we'll
be meeting, but I'll bring water and snacks.

Looking forward to seeing you all! Let me know if you have any questions.

Hugh