[tei-council] revised correspDesc proposal

Peter Stadler stadler at edirom.de
Wed Nov 12 12:50:48 EST 2014

Dear all,

the next Council meeting is approaching and so we duly revised our proposal according to the latest comments.
We also (re)structured the GitHub repository a little bit, so you’ll find the latest

* ODD file at
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/TEI-Correspondence-SIG/correspDesc/master/odd/proposal.xml
* RNG file at
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/TEI-Correspondence-SIG/correspDesc/master/schema/proposal.rng
* HTML documentation at
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/TEI-Correspondence-SIG/correspDesc/master/doc/proposal.html

Changes include:
* moved correspDesc from sourceDesc to profileDesc
* merged sender & addressee into participant
* subsumed names, places and dates of sending/receiving under the new <participant>
* renamed context to correspContext (still not completely satisfying …)
* removed everything else, especially <transmission>. This is purely pragmatic while we are trying to focus on fewer issues now and add features subsequently.

A (minimal) sample encoding may now look like:
<profileDesc>
	<ct:correspDesc>
		<ct:participant role="sender">
			<persName>Adelbert von Chamisso</persName>
			<placeName>Vertus</placeName>
			<date when="1807-01-29">29 January 1807</date>
		</ct:participant>
		<ct:participant role="recipient">
			<persName>Louis de La Foye</persName>
			<placeName>Caen</placeName>
		</ct:participant>
	</ct:correspDesc>
</profileDesc>

Open issues:
* Do we need a wrapper element for correspDesc (and/or should it be renamed) in analogy to settingDesc/setting? This came up during a conf call with some Council members. I’m still not convinced and there are various counter examples …
* When there are several senders, how to encode the date of sending? Our proposal considers every agent a participant on its own, so it’s not permitted to collect all names under one <participant>. But, do we need to encode the date (and place) on every <participant> then? That’d be very inconvenient.

Any comments highly appreciated!

Best
Peter