[tei-council] <content> vs <mixedContent>

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Fri Oct 3 15:15:00 EDT 2014

On 3 Oct 2014, at 18:38, Lou Burnard <lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>> On 3 Oct 2014, at 16:36, Lou Burnard <lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>>> We invented this element precisely because it has a different content model from <content> -- mixed content is always exactly the same as an alternation of a bunch of elements with text. So it would be nonsensical to permit it to contain sequence, and redundant to permit alternate.
>> Clearly I have been in some parallel universe for the last 6 months
>
> You also seem unwilling to accept council decisions agreed to twice (both times in your presence).

Very true, guilty as charged. Not for the first time.

> Is this just your evil twin speaking?

This is the twin who doesn’t want to spend his evening hacking time
on a task as dull as implementing a completely unnecessary element
which adds no features at all to the life of the ODD writer.  Of course,
we shouldn’t be driven by implementation details, but equally the best
standards are those which are easy to implement.

'Short cuts make long delays,'_ argued Pippin.

> You're entitled to your view. But (I repeat) Council has now agreed twice that this would be a useful shortcut. Of course you're free to refuse to implement it, if you want to be really bolshy.,

writing the content of

  <xsl:template match=“tei:mixedContent”>

is relatively easy. it’s the tedium of going through adding
extra special cases to odd2odd, to documentation presentation, etc
that I can’t imagine wanting to do.

do you realise that in order to remove the option of putting text inside <bibl>,
people would have to write:

<elementSpec ident="bibl" mode="change">
 <mixedContent mode="delete"/>
 <content>
  ... repeat all the content of mixedContent but
  adding in the zeroOrMore/alternate wrapper ...
 </content>
</elementSpec>

You cannot tell me that this is elegant!

But since you tell me I am breaking Chatham House Rules,
I shall quiet myself now, and go implement <textNode>.
Director (Research) of Academic IT
University of Oxford IT Services

Não sou nada.
Nunca serei nada.
Não posso querer ser nada.
À parte isso, tenho em mim todos os sonhos do mundo.