[tei-council] <content> vs <mixedContent>

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Fri Oct 3 11:47:20 EDT 2014

On 03/10/14 16:20, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> unless you’re talking about a very different mixedContent from me. my
> understanding is that its sugar for the existing <content
> allowText=“true”> as we have now. If you’re thinking of something
> else, then all bets are off and I invoke Habeas Corpus.

P.S Actually, it depends what you mean by "as we have now" too -- I
believe that the current behaviour is correct i.e.

<content allowText="true">
<elementRef key="foo">
</content>

currently behaves as if it were actually

<content allowText="true">
<alternate maxoccurs="unbounded">
<elementRef key="foo">
<textNode>
</alternate>
</content>

which is  was what Martin rightly pointed at as being inconsistent or
obscure

Introducing <mixedContent> means that we can say

<mixedContent>
<elementRef key="foo">
</mixedContent>

which is clearer.

If you actually want text nodes in some other constellation, then you
have to spell it out exactly.