[tei-council] outstanding issues in pure odd

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Fri Oct 3 05:54:10 EDT 2014

At the council meeting where this was last discussed,
(http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/Council/Meetings/tcm60.xml) , I think
we agreed on the following:
1.  add new <textNode> element to enable precise placing of text nodes
within a content model, even where this is not supported by the target
schema language
2.  permit @allowText on <alternate> and <sequence>
3.  add <mixedContent> as an alternate to <content> as syntactic sugar
for the special case of <alternate allowText="true"> containing one or
more <elementRef>s (though an alternate with one child seems a bit weird)

I added specs for textNode and mixedContent to the source, but nothing
further, so these changes have not made it to the current release,
which is annoying but gives us another chance to review them
(preferfably rapidly) before considering some really outstanding
questions we haven't yet addressed. I give some below in no particular order

a. what about datatypes. These are currently always defined wrt either
RNG or W3C schemas. Leave well alone?

b. what does <classRef allowText="true"> mean, if anything?

c. what syntax should we provide (if any) to support contextually
varying content models e.g. <p> within <teiHeader> can contain only text
but elsewhere must contain a sequence of <s> elements; <msDesc> is
allowed in <text> but not in <teiHeader> We've suggested using @context
(with an xPath) on <content> for this purpose but the details are not
yet fully worked out.

d. some other things i can't remember

As Sebastian and I are currently preparing materials for the ODD
workshop next month (gulp), it would be good to have some degree of
certainty about what will be forthcoming in the next release...