[tei-council] constraints on <publicationStmt>

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Tue Sep 30 15:13:26 EDT 2014

I am pretty sure this was discussed extensively at Council before the
change was introduced. The issue may be summarised as follows:
(a) publicationStmt contains multiple occurrences of th
sometings-like-publisher and things-like-publication-details
(b) there is no grouping element to say which occurrences of the first
class go with which occurrences of the second class, i.e. nothing
corresponding with "act of publication"
(c) in its absence we rely on the ordering
So if something is published by snipcock and tweed at 12 Albemare St,
and also distributed by the Oxford Text Archive with idno 345, we give
the data in that order, and we know that as soon as we meet a second
agency (the OTA in this case) we are talking about a second act of
publication.

You may ask "why not use publicationStmt to do this grouping?" (since
publicationStmt is repeatable). I can't remember, but I am pretty sure
people didn't like that idea at all.

So, no, nothing to do with SGML ampersands. For once.