[tei-council] biblStruct madness

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Fri Sep 19 11:47:05 EDT 2014

On 19 Sep 2014, at 15:15, <syd at paramedic.wwp.northeastern.edu> <syd at paramedic.wwp.northeastern.edu> wrote:

> I have (in my working copy) updated BIB and the element specification
> for <biblStruct> to address this bug. All works fine.[1] However, now
> the actual HTML bibliography in the generated Guidelines looks worse,
> because the <idno> elements are showing up in the middle, not at the
> end. This is because our template for <biblStruct> just applies
> templates, it does not do anything intelligent with the order of
> elements. (I don't even know how the punctuation gets in there.)

there is a lot of code handling the _sub_ elements of <biblStruct>.
as you say, the order of children is assumed to make sense.

> 3. there quite a few other things that need to be fixed in the
>    processing of our bibliography, e.g.:
>    a) spacing is sometimes screwy (e.g., no space before year "1992"
>       in #KNUTH)
ooh nasty. don’t know why thats not been spotted before.

>    b) Series-level titles are renditionally undifferentiated -- but
>       I'm not sure they should be.

if you’re getting into the theory of how bibliographies should be rendered,
we’re all doomed. Martin will tell you it should all be done in
plain old <bibl> with hard-wired presentation.

>    c) the CSS for <q> generates ugly straight quotes, as opposed to
>       pretty curly ones

that’s your user agent, isn’t it? could be overridden in our CSS, I agree.

>    f) The Princeton Band

they were never the same after John died, were they.

But seriously, good luck. All good stuff to get clean.
Director (Research) of Academic IT
University of Oxford IT Services

Não sou nada.
Nunca serei nada.
Não posso querer ser nada.
À parte isso, tenho em mim todos os sonhos do mundo.