[tei-council] Reflections on the release

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Sep 17 11:49:07 EDT 2014

Hi all,

Elli and Syd did a great job on yesterday's release process, which went
a little more smoothly than some previous ones. There were a couple of
minor wrinkles, though.

We discovered that one of our release scripts wasn't quite working
right. The version of the TEI Guidelines which was initially installed
on the tei-c website was missing all the site menus due to a path
misconfiguration in the script. That was fixed, and it worked properly
in the end.

Another issue relates to the problem we discovered with Roma a few days
ago; it turned out that Roma's eXist back-end had been using an old
version of TEI, so updates during previous releases had not, as we
thought, actually worked properly. We've removed a rather complicated
PERL script from the process, and now confirmed that a simpler update
process does work, but we also plan to install an updated version of
eXist on the tei-c server and test updating it ahead of the next
release, whenever that is.

Also, as it turns out, neither Syd nor I were able to build the
oxygen-tei add-on, trying on a variety of machines. Sebastian was able
to build it -- he does it regularly, every time there's a new
Stylesheets release -- so we're now investigating what's special about
his setup versus ours, and we plan to document in more detail exactly
what's involved in that build process.

I'm going to raise a bugs for the last two of these so that we don't
lose track of them. In the meantime, does anyone else involved in the
process yesterday have any comments or issues they think we should also
work on?