[tei-council] addition of <availability>

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Tue Sep 9 11:53:18 EDT 2014

On 14-09-09 08:31 AM, Syd Bauman wrote:
> Well, we *have* already discussed it at a face-to-face, but
> apparently we didn't do anywhere near a thorough enough job.
>
> We may be able to take care of this via e-mail, but nonetheless I'm
> in favor of leaving <availability> as a member of model.biblPart but
> backing out the addition of <availability> into the content models of

Having re-read the ticket, I'm not sure about that. It would mean that
<availability> is not available anywhere in <biblStruct>. Council
Elli decided also to put it in <edition>, but I think we could roll that
one back on the basis that we haven't had a chance to discuss it, and it
may not be necessary given the other locations it will be available.

There's no dispute about <analytic> and <series>, so we should implement
those as we decided. The remaining issue is only about where it should
go in <monogr>, so I'd suggest deciding right now by email whether it
should go directly in <monogr> or in <imprint>, as Kevin argues. If we
can't decide, then we should hold off on the decision about <monogr>,
but still put it in <analytic> and <series> for now.

Let's have a quick poll, in case it turns out we're all actually in
agreement anyway:

Kevin says that "Since <publicationStmt> is akin to <imprint> just as
<editionStmt> is akin to <edition>, I suggest that if we want to support
use of <availability> inside <monogr>, it should be allowed only as a
child of <imprint>, which contains information relating to "[. . .]
distribution of a bibliographic item". Just as bibliographies sometimes
describe editions and sometimes copies, bibliographic items may be
editions or copies."

I find that quite convincing, so I vote for <availability> as a child of
always have an <imprint>).

What do you all think?