[tei-council] Problems with the UVic Jenkins server

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Mon Sep 8 13:26:56 EDT 2014

We appear to be back on track with the UVic Jenkins server. What we've
done is a slight hack: instead of asking for the version info for the
local copy of the repository that we're currently building (which
generates the error, because it's in an older format), we ask instead
for the version info from the SourceForge repository itself, directly.

This is not an ideal solution. If you were to check out and build, on
purpose, an old revision of the source, your build would include
erroneous date information. Although it's less and less common to build
the source locally (it doesn't even work on my desktop, for some
reason), it's certainly something that might be done in the event of the
need to fix (say) an egregious error that inadvertently made it into a
release package. So we're still considering alternative solutions. One
option is to detect whether the build is running as a Jenkins job (not
hard to do), and if it is, assume it's always building the latest
version and get the version info from SourceForge; if not, revert to the
previous behaviour because we can then assume that the checkout was done
using the local svn client, so that client will be able to successfully
ask for the local version info. This would even give us the option to
use one of our build servers to check out and build a particular
revision outside of the Jenkins environment, if we needed to do that.

In addition to the svn issue, I discovered that the Ubuntu upgrade had
removed the Libertine, Arphic and UMing fonts, which are needed to build
the PDFs.