[tei-council] [TEI-CORRESP-SIG] correspDesc proposal: some feedback.

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Aug 20 13:17:07 EDT 2014

I take Peter's point that there is some justification for syntactic
sugar elements here. However, I'm not sure that we need such a
proliferation of them. I made this suggestion on the tei-corresp-sig
list, and I still think it's worth considering:

There's a large number of different potential parties to a
correspondence, including sender, recipient, addressee (these two may
differ), signer, co-signer, typist, etc. This list is potentially very
long, but there are some core roles which we know about. My suggestion
was to create a single new element:

<ct:party> (or perhaps <ct:correspParty>)

with @role to differentiate them. The Guidelines could provide a
suggested value list covering all the core, known requirements (sender,
recipient etc.) and yet still allow for further extension.
Interoperability would be served by the suggested values being
formalized in the interchange format.

<ct:party role="addressee"><persName>...</persName></ct:party>

<ct:party role="unintended-recipient"><persName>...</persName></ct:party>

<ct:party role="snoop"><persName>...</persName></ct:party>

You could have @role=

     author
     sender
     signer
     co-signer

and of course you could have <orgName> and so on in place of <persName>
in the content of <ct:party>.

This seems more straightforward to me than arguing about which roles
deserve their own syntactic sugar elements and which don't.