[tei-council] note in sourceDesc

Fabio Ciotti fabio.ciotti at uniroma2.it
Tue Mar 11 14:36:18 EDT 2014

I read the discussion of SF and vote for Lou's modification but:

I agree with the observation that this is a sort of elusion of the
problem with <sourceDesc>, a patch somehow. As I already and
provocatively suggested in a discussion on TEI-L in a future P6 I
would abandon that element to replace it with a <relatedSomething>
optional element and with a strongly typed @type attribute.

And I also observe that <note> element has a too wide ontology going
from authorial notes inside source text to unconstrained annotation
inside the <teiHeader> passing through any kind of note due to diverse
agency inside the text... just like p, anyway. It is however true, as
Lou says, that the probability that someone would tighten the content
model of <note> is far smaller than that of <p>.

In general I think that using the same elements in <teiHeader> and
<text> is a source of ontological (and pragmatical) confusion that
should be avoided...

Just for the sake of discussion.

Fabio