[tei-council] git help

Syd Bauman syd at paramedic.wwp.northeastern.edu
Sat Aug 9 08:48:33 EDT 2014

I started this as a message to Hugh, but then figured that others may
benefit from his (or someone else's) response.

I am working on making some changes to the stylesheets that have
taken several days so far, and will take several more, probably. In
the meantime, someone else (probably Sebastian) has also made
non-conflicting changes to the same file.

I presume that `git` would handle this in roughly the same way `svn`
does -- when I try to push my changes to GIThub either they will be
automagically folded in, or I will have to make manual adjustments
before the push will succeed. (Is that right?)

But more importantly, I had been making these changes on my little
laptop. Now I want to work on them from my big desktop. (Why? Little
laptop takes a long time to run a P5 build!)

I could push my changes from the little laptop into GIThub, and then
pull them onto the big desktop. But that would leave the stylesheets
y'all use from GIThub badly broken.

I could just copy the one file that matters from little laptop to big
desktop, but a) that seems like a cop-out, and b) the copy on big
desktop already has the changes someone else (probably Sebastian) has
also made to this file, so I would lose those -- wouldn't that
confuse the BLEEP out of `git`?

SO, my question ... Is there a "git-proper" way of propagating my
changes from my little laptop to my big desktop *without* pushing my
changes into GIThub yet?

I'm guessing there is, since this sort of thing is supposedly exactly
what makes `git` better than `svn`. After all, both little laptop and
big desktop have complete repositories. But one or both them will
have to be running a git server or a web server (or both), right?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.