[tei-council] rowing back on <mixedContent>

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Mon Jul 7 11:53:41 EDT 2014

On 14-07-06 11:23 PM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 7 Jul 2014, at 02:30, Martin Holmes <mholmes at uvic.ca> wrote:
>>
>> The result would be a call for one or more elements from a choice of two
>> empty models. I believe that an ODD processor should be required in this
>> case to delete the models completely, resulting in an empty content
>> model for <availability>, which would make it an empty element (again,
>> not insane because it has @status which is enough to specify the
>> availability of a document).
>
> or should an error be thrown, because you have gone against the wish of the
> ODDer, who asked for oneOrMore elements?

It's another philosophical question whether oneOrMore components of
empty models is equal to oneOrMore elements.

>> I think the deletion of the empty model must be required, otherwise the
>> content model above would be completely non-deterministic; the empty
>> element could have been arrived at by any combination of the empty
>> models comprising its content model.
>
> hmm, i dont think XSD or DTD care about "empty | empty”. its all a matter of
> what element choices come out, which are in this case none

I was thinking of this from the point of view of ODD, rather than target
schema languages. Should ODD support non-deterministic content models
(natively, rather than through explicit RelaxNG)? If not, then we can
delete these models prior to output without worrying about the target
schema language.