[tei-council] rowing back on <mixedContent>

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jul 4 13:28:05 EDT 2014

On 4 Jul 2014, at 17:46, Lou Burnard <lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 04/07/14 17:00, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>>
>> which sort of fudges the issue. I am not sure whether XSD can model
>> it or not.
>>

> My browsing indicates yes and no.

it’s a confusing business. But so far as I can see this is valid:

 <xs:element name="a">
    <xs:complexType mixed="true">
      <xs:choice>
          <xs:element ref="x"/>
          <xs:element ref="y"/>
        </xs:choice>
          <xs:element ref="b"/>
          <xs:element ref="c"/>
        </xs:choice>
      </xs:choice>
    </xs:complexType>

which is a step beyond what DTD can do.

My conclusion is that we shouldn’t have the same simplistic
model for both XSD and for DTD, so the <mixedContent> would
only be useful for DTDers. for the others, all use of <textNode> is stripped
out and replaced with a single outer mixed=“true”.
Director (Research) of Academic IT
University of Oxford IT Services

Não sou nada.
Nunca serei nada.
Não posso querer ser nada.
À parte isso, tenho em mim todos os sonhos do mundo.