[tei-council] rowing back on <mixedContent>

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jul 4 12:46:59 EDT 2014

On 04/07/14 17:00, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> which sort of fudges the issue. I am not sure whether XSD can model
> it or not.

My browsing indicates yes and no. See for example
http://docstore.mik.ua/orelly/xml/schema/ch07_05.htm
from which I quote "The location, the whitespace processing, and the
datatype of these text nodes cannot be restricted in any way."
and further "when a content model is mixed, the position of the text
nodes cannot be constrained, and this permits text nodes within the base
type at any location."

HOWEVER, it does appear to be true that XSD allows you to constrain the
order and frequency of *element nodes* within mixed content.

See e.g. http://www.w3schools.com/schema/schema_complex_mixed.asp

Also at
http://www.informit.com/library/content.aspx?b=STY_XML_21days&seqNum=80
I read:

"...whereas DTDs provide only partial support for mixed-content models,
schemas provide a more complete syntax that allows you to specify the
order and number of child elements in mixed-content elements. However,
it is important to note that although you can declare mixed-content
elements, you should avoid doing so if possible."