[tei-council] rowing back on <mixedContent>

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Fri Jul 4 13:22:23 EDT 2014

On 14-07-04 08:12 AM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> if people want DTDs, thats fine by me. I’ll convert their Pure ODD markup to DTD syntax for them.
> However, it may well be invalid DTD if they don’t understand what they’re doing.

I think this is very dangerous. I know of several long-standing TEI
users who have never used anything except a DTD and don't know how to
use anything else (I just recently showed someone how to create an RNG
and link to it). Some of them teach TEI regularly. They started with
DTDs and they continue to use DTDs, and they certainly don't know enough
to know whether they would be creating a content model that wouldn't
work in DTD; their assumption is that you create an ODD file (usually
with Roma), you tweak it maybe in oXygen, and you get a DTD from it
(again usually with Roma). I think they would be quite happy to move to
RNG if prompted, but they've never seen a reason to do it; but mainly
what they want from us is a system that protects them from the
complexities of writing actual schemas and just works.