[tei-council] Wot is wrong with my ODD?

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jun 7 12:50:03 EDT 2014

On 6 Jun 2014, at 23:18, Martin Holmes <mholmes at uvic.ca> wrote:

> I'm trying to create a content model for <seg> using the new TEI ODD
> elements. I want to allow any of a small number of elements, with text
> mixed in, or just text.

i am not convinced that what you want is legal in XML

> I have this:
>
> <elementSpec ident="seg" mode="change">
>   <content>
>     <alternate allowText="true">
>       <macroRef key="data.text"/>
>       <sequence allowText="true" preserveOrder="false" minOccurs="0">
>         <elementRef key="orgName" maxOccurs="unbounded" minOccurs="0"/>
>         <elementRef key="persName" maxOccurs="unbounded" minOccurs="0"/>
>         <elementRef key="choice" maxOccurs="unbounded" minOccurs="0"/>
>         <elementRef key="seg" maxOccurs="unbounded" minOccurs="0"/>
>         <elementRef key="trait" maxOccurs="unbounded" minOccurs="0"/>
>       </sequence>
>     </alternate>
>   </content>
> </elementSpec>

you can’t have a content model in which the elements occur in a fixed order, with optional spaces
between. not as I understand XML.

you also can’t have a choice between “text” or “text with elements”. doesn’t make sense.

are you trying to constrain the order of elements or not?

Director (Research) of Academic IT
University of Oxford IT Services

Não sou nada.
Nunca serei nada.
Não posso querer ser nada.
À parte isso, tenho em mim todos os sonhos do mundo.