[tei-council] [tei:feature-requests] #488 Add @points to att.coordinated

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed May 28 16:19:06 EDT 2014

Just following up on this ticket assigned to me. The situation is:

Several elements (<line>, <surface>, <surfaceGrp> and <zone>) are
members of att.coordinated, giving them some attributes such as @ulx and
@uly which enable them to be delimited on a two-dimensional matrix, but
only as rectangles. <zone> has an additional attribute, @points, which
enables it to be described as a polygon (a series of points).

The ticket calls for @points to be moved from being specified directly
on <zone> into the att.coordinated classSpec, which would make it
available on the other members of that class too.

Having looked again at this, I stand by my original comment on the ticket:

"This seems to me to be a simple corrigible error in the original
implementation of @points, which should have been added to
att.coordinated rather than specified directly on <zone>. A side-effect
of moving it to att.coordinated would be that <line> and <surfaceGrp>
would also inherit it; for <line> that makes perfect sense -- anything
that can be outlined using a rectangle can presumably also be outlined
using a polygon -- but <surfaceGrp> is rather an odd case; I'm not sure
it needs to be in att.coordinated at all. It's simply a grouping element
for <surface> elements, used (for instance, from one of the Glines
examples) to group all the leafs of a quire. None of our example show
the use of dimensions on <surfaceGrp>. That said, it seems harmless for
it to have those attributes, and perhaps someone wants to group surfaces
(or surface groups) on a single plane, and specify their coordinates."

I vote we go ahead with this. I think once it's done, we should also
raise another ticket to consider the other attributes defined on <zone>,
@rotate, to decide whether that also should be moved; I think that's a
more complicated question, especially since we're now able to use CSS
properties to handle features such as rotation anyway.