[tei-council] @calendar and @datingMethod

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Wed May 21 06:45:23 EDT 2014

The @scheme attribute used to be a nice simple @TEI attribute with
values "yes" or "no", which distinction is, in practice, all we've ever
needed it for.

If you look at the spec for <att>, you will see that @scheme is indeed
defined as data.enumerated, with a suggested list of values, none of
which we actually use in the text of the Guidelines (<cough/>). It also
contains the interesting note "A namespace prefix may be used in order
to specify the scheme as an alternative to specifying it via the scheme
attribute: it takes precedence". I think this is intended to allow you
to say e.g. <att>html:href</att> rather than (as we currently do) <att
scheme="html">href</att>, and to warn you that nonsense like <att
scheme="TEI">html:href</att> will not work. It doesn't tell you where
you define that namespace prefix, of course, nor does it need to.

The spec needs fixing hoiwever since one of the examples cheerfully says
"<att scheme="XX">style</att> is not among them" (i.e. the TEI global
attributes) so I will add some of the values we do use in the Guidelines
to the list at the same time.

How, out of curiosity, do you think  translated names for attributes
should be handled? e.g. in the spec for att.damaged, the Spanish
translator has decided to translate the content of the <att> element as
well as the surrounding text, resulting in things like   "<p> La
utilizado..."

I think this is just plain wrong, not only because it's inconsistent
with the practice of other translators, but also because it implies that
there is somewhere an attribute called "grado", which there isn't.  I
think this should read:

(grado) debe ser utilizado..."