[tei-council] report on <correspDesc> proposal

Peter Stadler stadler at edirom.de
Tue Apr 1 16:32:29 EDT 2014

Hi Fabio,

many thanks for your comments and encouragement!
We (correspDesc taskforce) had a telco last Friday and discussed your points (minutes to follow).

Am 27.03.2014 um 12:14 schrieb Fabio Ciotti:

> I think it is a good proposal. Only two question:

> 1) I'm not an expert, but in general I tink interoperability is good.
> Did you see the possible intersection wit EAD i  this area?
Well, not EAD specifically but we are looking at Europeana right now. I think establishing interoperability at that level would really rock — but I don’t have any details yet. Anyway, we will have a look at EAD now as well and in the best case this will merge with our Europeana efforts.

> 2) I feel a little bit puzzled by the insertion of this kind of
> metadata inside sourceDesc (in general I think the uses of this
> section in TEI are rather diverse e semantically non coherent). Why
> not in profileDesc (maybe I'm missing something though)?
No, that’s a good point and I know e.g. the "TEI Legal Encoding Extensions" have gone with <profileDesc>. Still, we believe the information to be captured within <correspDesc> is of bibliographic nature (at least to some extent … e.g. letters are frequently cited by date, sender and addressee). So, we made <correspDesc> member of model.biblLike which as a consequence makes <correspDesc> appear in <sourceDesc> (but not only!).

Best
Peter

[1] http://wulibraries.typepad.com/digitalgateway/2010/11/tei-legal-encoding-extensions-first-draft.html