[tei-council] note in sourceDesc

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 12 18:22:04 EDT 2014

On 12 Mar 2014, at 19:24, Lou Burnard <lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> There is another simple solution to the "p-in-header is different from
> p-in-text" problem out there in the wild, which I've been meaning to
> throw into the mix. This is what they do in the DTA : they have a
> different ODD for the header and for the text

thats a slightly odd way of doing it. they store themas separate files?

> I've been meaning to see how effectively you could do this with a single
> ODD containing two schema specs.
easy… you can make good use of <specGrp> there

> I still want to put <note> inside <sourceDesc> though cos I think it
> really IS a note.
to me, a <note> is an aside, an annotation, a byway from a
main flow. I fiind the idea of the entire content of something
being a note rather strange. What is the note attached to?
nothingness?

> ….

> Note that just saying "use <ab> in the header and <p> in the text"
> though initially attractive doesn't help the fundamental problem,
> because there are definitely texts (e.g. the Bible) where the narrative
> is constructed in terms of things for which <ab> is pretty much the best
> solution

and the same argument applies to <note>. sooner or later someone
wants to distinguish between notes in the header and notes in the text.

>>> note> is for representing annotations.

quite. what is it an annotation of?

>>> I suspect that much
> of Sebastian's antipathy to the idea here is fueled by anxiety about how
> to render the wretched beast.

doesn’t bother me guv.  I’d seldom render the header anyway except
maybe in the colophon of an ebook. Yes, your wretched note will probably
cause all sorts of algorithms to fail, but I am used to that.
…

>>>   * doing nothing here, Lou’s <note> is just sticking plaster on a weeping sore
>>>   * recommending people use Schematron to constrain <p>
>
> See above for using <note> : is the hon member suggesting we should just
> leave weeping sores to dribble on when there's a perfectly effective
> plaister we could apply?

if I thought <note> would clear up the infection for good, no problem.

Director (Research) of Academic IT
University of Oxford IT Services

Não sou nada.
Nunca serei nada.
Não posso querer ser nada.
À parte isso, tenho em mim todos os sonhos do mundo.