[tei-council] Next TEI-C Guidelines Release (presumably 2.6.0)

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Tue Jan 7 13:00:16 EST 2014

On 14-01-07 09:45 AM, Syd Bauman wrote:

>> This also means that I will be announcing the pending release to
>> TEI-L soon. I've changed the version number to 2.6.0beta as of
>> revision 12749.

Once we're in beta, we should be asking on TEI-L for public proofing of
the Jenkins versions, and also the readme should be done, IIRC, so
people know what changes they should be proofing.

>>    *Before I announce this what needs to be done to make the P5-test
>> job stable?* We should do that first.
>
> Can it be made stable? Now that we have Schematron warnings for
> @validUntil constructs that are still exemplified, I thought we were
> stuck with unstable.

For this build, we are, unfortunately, but I really don't like this as a
long-term thing. I think it's a priority to get our act together wrt
deprecation and warnings before the 2.7 release.

One option, which is time-consuming but which could work, is for
Sebastian and/or I to add explicit suppression of the known schematron
warnings for deprecated constructs to the Jenkins log parser. We could
do this as new deprecations are added, then after every release we would
go through the log parser and remove any suppressions which are obsolete
(because they have transitioned from warnings to errors because the
expiry date has gone by, or because the constructs have now been removed
and the warnings/errors are no longer being generated). It seems a bit
heavy-handed but it would work. I definitely don't like the situation
where we "live with" unstable builds; that will cause us to stop
investigating warnings and miss new ones that might appear.