[tei-council] Attributes in no namespace

Syd Bauman s.bauman at neu.edu
Mon Dec 30 18:06:09 EST 2013

Quick thoughts on this:

* Martin is correct, the tei:rend= attributes shown in the 2nd
  example of 22.4.2 do not match the "normal" TEI rend= attribute
  (which is in no namespace), and thus do not do what the prose says
  they do. (What the prose says does apply to elements, though.)

* I'm inclined to just ditch the example and associated prose.

* Martin fears our inability to distinguish attributes, a fear I
  think is a bit silly. It's certainly not as easy as saying
  "@tei:end" and "@svg:end", but "tei:*/@end" and "svg:*/@end" work
  just as well. (Not to mention the more precise "tei:kinesic/@end"
  and "svg:subImageRef/@end".) Yes, if you've actually matched the
  "@end", i.e. the attribute of unknown origin is the context node,
  then you'll have to test namespace-uri(). Not pretty, but certainly
  not worth railing about much.